Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject DOP - Disappearing Object Phenomenon
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message [link to nrichford.wordpress.com (secure)]

Have you ever set something down for just a second, looked away, and when you turned back to grab it, it was just gone?

Then maybe a minute or a week later, you are walking by that spot and there it is, right where you were looking for it before. You had even had another person look and certify that the thing was missing before, but here it is, taunting you with its existence..

This happens to me a lot. I know that some of it is just brain fog, forgetfulness, or even object blindness.. but often there is no rational explanation, there are witnesses to it not being present, etc. Sometimes I just laugh it off, but others I get extremely angry at the inconvenience.. like I am right in the middle of something and that object is essential to completing it. I often curse at the thing that is doing this and make fun of it - "how pathetic are you that you need to mess with me for absolutely no reason? This means you are weak, not clever or strong, or else you would face me directly, but no... all you can do is hide things like a little bitch.." etc... and sometimes that works. Other times I ask nicely to give it back and still others I just walk away and ignore the whole situation.

Until this happens to someone, they can think you sound like an insane person... and rightfully so, since they can easily dismiss it as you just "losing things all the time". But when they finally have it happen... lol

My wife had her first time this weekend and is still freaked out. We were in a hotel and she took off her headband and was setting it on the edge of the counter but not looking at it. When she let go she felt like it was falling off the edge and turned to look and it was gone. I even helped look all over that bathroom - under the sink, on top of the light fixtures, literally every inch of that room. The next morning when we were getting ready it reappeared on the floor right in the spot where it would have dropped the night before. She yelled for me to come in there and look and yup, there it was. I just laughed and shrugged as her mouth hung open and eyes were wide.

What's your most recent DOP ?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP