Users Online Now: 2,200 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 733,075
Pageviews Today: 1,291,897Threads Today: 550Posts Today: 9,445
03:12 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Jesus Discovered in Dead Sea Scrolls that were found between 1946 and 1956.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message My investigation into The Dead Sea Scrolls has just premiered on Curiosity Stream, launched by John Hendricks, founder of the Discovery Channel. Curiosity Stream is the world’s first streaming service devoted exclusively to documentaries. The Dead Sea Scrolls report is part of five initial reports dealing with “Biblical Mysteries”. I believe my investigation sheds new light on The Dead Sea Scrolls, which are arguably the most famous archaeological artifacts ever found.

The find caused an immediate sensation because the scrolls are a sort of ancient library, stored in clay vessels, that include the oldest manuscripts of the Hebrew Bible ever uncovered. Scholars have dated the scrolls from approximately 200 BCE to 70 CE (the date of the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans at the end of the Great Jewish Revolt (66-73 CE)). Meaning, some of the scrolls were written and/or copied during the lifetime of Jesus of Nazareth.

From the moment of their discovery, some scholars suggested that at least some of the scrolls may be the work of early Christians. After all, a certain “Teacher of Righteousness” is mentioned as a persecuted figure and there is also a “Wicked Priest” and other characters that seem to mirror early Christianity. Most scholars, however, have dismissed any connection between the community that hid their scroll library some 2,000 years ago in caves at Qumran and the earliest followers of Jesus. Now, I’ve made a discovery that may change all this. Put simply, I believe that one of the fragments called by scholars by the very unappealing name of “4Q541” explicitly refers to Jesus.

I was first drawn to this fragment by the authoritative translation of The Dead Sea Scrolls by Florentino Garcia Martinez (1996, Brill). In fragment 24, column 2, the scroll refers to someone called “The Dove”. The writer of the scroll asks that the dove’s followers “not mourn for him”. And he further says; “do not bring the nail near him”. Given that Jesus is often identified with a “dove” (e.g., Matthew 3:16, Luke 3:22), and the Gospels explicitly refer to the “nails” of the crucifixion (e.g., John 20:24) and also to the “mourning” of his followers after the crucifixion (e.g., Luke 24:17), it seemed reasonable to me that “4Q541” may be referring to Jesus. So I looked up Martinez’s more complete “Study Edition” of The Dead Sea Scrolls (1997, Brill), which also supplies the Aramaic original, to see what I could learn. I learned a lot.

I learned that Martinez must have been nervous about the original reference to “the nail” and changed his translation. In the new edition, Martinez translated the Aramaic “Tsatsa” i.e., “nail”, as “nighthawk”. More than this, in the same section, I discovered – untranslated! – the word “[T]alia” – “cross” or “crucifixion” in Aramaic! Granted, the letter “Taf” i.e., “T” was missing in Martinez’s version of the original, but it sure seemed coincidental that a possible reference to the crucifixion was in the same fragment that I now believed was referring to Jesus. What was this all about I asked myself? Why were words being retranslated or not translated at all? Were scholars worried about finding Jesus in any ancient texts other than the New Testament?

50% Rule

[link to blogs.timesofisrael.com]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP