Users Online Now: 2,180 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 389,995
Pageviews Today: 647,501Threads Today: 220Posts Today: 4,016
08:46 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject What Is The Reddish Star I Saw at/after Sunset in South East? It's NOT Venus
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Okay, mock me, but I'm wondering what star this is as I can't pick it out on Google Sky and it really struck me tonight as I was leaving my office. Venus was in the south west, clearly, and to the east of it maybe 90-120 degrees or so away, was a reddish star fairly low on the horizon, but about at the same altitude, or a bit lower, as Venus. It was NOT Venus as I could clearly see Venus. This would be after sunset around 5:30 pm EST when I left, and I could catch glimpses of it occasionally over the next 45 minutes or so on the ride home (into the west).

It wasn't Jupiter - well, it didn't look like Jupiter anyway - and Jupiter was below the horizon at that point, and it wasn't Mars or Betelgeuse (both of them kind of reddish of course) as the position was wrong and I believe both were below the horizon then. I can't see anything on Google Sky that seems to correspond with it.

Sorry I can't be more explicit but we were in a rush to get home and I couldn't make better coordinates. I don't think I'd be able to see it tomorrow as I'm in a different location and this didn't rise far above the horizon. Maybe Friday, I'll try to be more precise about location and altitude if I see it again.

I'm not saying it's anything doomy or Hercolubus or Nbiru or anything like that, but I'm wondering what it might have been. Definitely a star or planet (i.e., not a comet). It took me by surprise as I believe that's the location where people have been seeing something strange in the sky?

Anyway, let me know what you think it is, folks.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP