Users Online Now: 1,157 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 240,676
Pageviews Today: 307,391Threads Today: 61Posts Today: 1,001
02:37 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject CAT LOVERS - fess up! Do you enjoy playing mind games with your cat?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I know there's a lot of cat lovers on here (as well as tons of cat haters) so I wanted to compare notes with you guys.

I have a background in psych so it's fascinating to try to understand how their minds work. Does anyone play "spy kitty"? That's when you make eye contact with the cat and quickly hide out of their sight. Then after a second or two you pop up again, make eye contact again and quickly disappear - cats hate not knowing what's going on so they'll start getting closer to investigate. This is how you can play "green light red light" with them. If you don't know what that is, check out this video:

I like making anthropological observations of their behavior. I know this makes me sound like an old crazy cat lady, but I'm really more interested in understanding their behavior. I have noticed that if you whisper to a cat, you'll have its attention, not sure why that is. It has to be a loud whisper, but they seem to be intrigued by the sound. I've also noticed that cats like peer pressure.... I know it sounds crazy but it's true and I'd like to ask some of you with multiple cats to try it and let me know what your findings are. A stray cat we had temporarily taken in had a litter of 7 kittens which are now 2 months old and I hand-raised, so I get to observe all kinds of kitten mischief and cat culture. I have noticed that if you egg a cat on, they'll totally go for it.. say kitty spots a ball of yarn on the ground and is contemplating getting it, if you sit and pressure him by saying "do it, kitty", "go get it, kitty", "come on, kitty", "do it kitty, do it!" they will almost always immediately act on it. I first noticed this with my old cat Zeus, and I have noticed it as well with these kittens. Also, if they're feeling particularly playful and pouncey, and cat A walks by cat B and I tell cat B "go get him kitty", he'll do it about 75% of the time. I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this and if it worked.

I'd love to hear any other observations or anecdotes from fellow cat observers, please feel free to share! hf
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP