Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Outcast in your own family? Your advice/experience is welcome
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I am currently dealing with some 'difficult' family members who are speaking badly about me. They are judgemental and small minded, yet I still love them, therefore I care (albeit minimally) about what they think.

Here is a summary of my situation: I am in my 20s living with my parents. I have a university degree but no 'real' job. For money, I do odd jobs and such. I get by comfortably. I am also a budding organic farmer, attempting to self sustain my own food supply. I have no ambitions of becoming the 6 figure income bullshit office monkey that I was trained to be. My parents are very supportive of my 'hippie' lifestyle and they also see the success I am having in my endeavours; it brings me and my parents great happiness in a way that most people would never understand. In other words, I am far from being a lazy, useless, unemployed, boomerang kid.

As one might suspect, my extended family members from suburbia do not understand my lifestyle/desires. The concept is completely out of their reach. The judge my lifestyle quite harshly (mostly behind my back). I have no problem telling them to 'fuck off' (due to minimal caring) but I feel there is a way I could make them understand, or at least see it in a positive light; at least to the point at which they would stop bad mouthing me to other people.

Should I waste my energy? and if I do waste my energy, what should I say? I am not overly good at dealing with this sort of person.

Description: These people are not stupid. They are clever in a sociopathic sort of way with genuine hints of positive human emotion here and there. They are very sarcastic and can be mean, but they do have a good side. They are selfish but capable of showing love. They are petty and materialistic as well.

Please help.

Also is anyone out there in a similar situation? Would love to hear how you deal with family shaming... Or whatever this could be called.

I know there will be trolls, so I welcome their advice as well, because they will allow me to see closer into the realm of the attitude they share with my relatives.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP