Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Hurricane Update from Red Hook Brooklyn
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Things are coming around. Basements of the projects - where my 98 yr old grandmother and 78 yr old father live - have been drained. PG&E are there. Con Ed is draining the areas under the manholes too. Other buildings are finally getting drained. All electrical stuff was flooded under 7 feet of water.

Apartments still cold. No electricity, phone or heat. it'll get there, but I'm concerned about the cold. Covered the windows with plastic bags to cut the drafts. Not holding up well due to clammy moisture. I guess duct tape doesn't work for everything.

Many people volunteering by Van Brunt Street. Many places to collect food, but I can't get to it because I'm too busy doing too many other chores and they can't walk either.

Many tourists who are just curious about the damage and taking pics.

The Pharmacy on Van Brunt offered a three day supply of blood pressure meds for my grandma. Been back and forth getting them supplies - food, blankets, etc.

Getting po'd that they offer heating places, but how are they going to get down the stairs if they can't walk? Guess I can toss them down the stairs. pfft!

Gas lines are still long. People are acting up and now it's federal gas. I'd be concerned for those arrested.

It's the grace of god that these buildings held up. A wooden home, I have much doubt but some of these very old homes are still there.

Staten Island suffered severe damage. Brighton Beach is pitch black. Manhattan beach with the multi-million dollar mansions were also flooded.

Fairway was closed, but Ikea was open.

I figure the only reason why there's a lot of coverage for Red Hook is because of Fairway, Ikea and the Battery Tunnel. It certainly isn't money because Manhattan Beach (the most expensive place to live in Brooklyn) has received no coverage on TV that I know of and if they did, very little coverage.

Sucks, but still working on it. Many wonderful people helping out. It's really nice to see that because when I was there as a kid, I doubt anyone would have came to help out. It's the projects - crime, drugs, guns - you get the idea.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP